Friday, December 6, 2013

Fuel For My Fire

Ten years ago, I used to be an avid runner.  I was in the gym cross training and saw that they were offering yoga classes and took one soon after. I don't remember it being any particular style, just your generic beginner yoga, but I really enjoyed it and found it so relaxing.

A fellow runner told me about Bikram yoga. The first time I went to a class, I was so intimidated by the fogged up windows and packed lobby that I never even got out of the car.  The next time I went, I was able to talk myself into actually going inside and taking the class.  Little did I know then that it would change my life.  During my first class, I thought, "Oh my gosh. It's hot in here, and this is hard!"  But, I loved how relaxed and stretched out my body felt when I was finished.  I remember wishing that I had tried it WAY earlier.

In the beginning, my practice was all about just surviving in the hot room for ninety minutes, and I counted the time until the class was over.  My practice has grown over the years to become focused, fun, and adventurous.  At Revolution Hot Yoga, I'm enjoying learning new ways of approaching the same yoga I've been doing for a decade and new ways of sharing it as a teacher. It's like fresh air has been breathed into my practice.

I've come to feel that my practice IS my body, if you know what I mean.  Yoga allows me to stay in tune with my body and use it to it's full potential.  It's my connection to it.  In addition to increasing my strength and flexibility, yoga keeps me feeling healthy and balanced.  I carry the lessons I learn in the yoga room out into the world with me into every aspect of my life.  Yoga isn't JUST a practice to me, it's a way of life.  My biggest challenge is to not let all of life's "other stuff" get in the way of my practice.

Yoga has helped me find balance in my life.  My friends and family could tell a big difference when I started doing yoga in my lowered stress rate and overall well being.  There were times when I was asked, "Don't you want to go to yoga tonight?" I NEED yoga in my life.

Rebecca (Jordan-Turner, lead teacher at Revolution Hot Yoga) was one of my first teachers, and I went to teacher training two years after my first class.  I love being an instructor and enjoy seeing the way yoga changes other's lives for the better.  I don't teach yoga because I think I'm good at it.  I teach because I want to help people live happy, healthy, and balanced lives.  Teaching hot yoga is the fuel for my fire, my passion!

I started Revolution Hot Yoga with the other owners because I wanted to offer a place for anyone to practice yoga in a healthy, healing, nurturing, nonjudgmental, clean, fun, safe, and knowledgeable environment. I feel blessed to do what I do for a living and share the joy with those who are open to it.


This is Jane Cable's, co-owner of RHY, yoga story.


Got to RHY website 


No comments:

Post a Comment