Friday, January 24, 2014

Growing Up With Yoga

My mom took me to my first yoga class in 1999 when I was 13 years old at what was then a very small yoga studio in metro Detroit. The style of yoga was Ashtanga, a modern form of classical Indian yoga, which is a series of postures and incorporates vinyasa, coordination of movement and breathing. The practice often included meditation after class. 

I loved yoga from the very beginning, and it has been an integral part of my life since. Practicing with my mom was particularly special for me as it was a great way for us to bond and spend time together.  We would attend class every Sunday morning.  

In high school, I was a competitive cross-country runner, and practicing yoga not only helped me maintain flexibility and prevent injuries, but also helped me develop focus and concentration that enhanced my performance.  As a teenager, practicing yoga was immensely helpful for accepting the changes that happened in my body and mind in a healthy way. 

In college, I studied music performance and was not able to practice yoga as much, but I used the meditation techniques I had learned at yoga to help me prepare for important performances and auditions.  

In the years that followed, I began practicing more frequently, and yoga has benefited my life in numerous ways. In a physical sense, yoga has helped me not only develop and maintain flexibility, but also build a tremendous amount of strength. The mental and emotional benefits of yoga have been even more important for me, as the practice has aided me in developing focus, discipline, and a sense of mindfulness about yoga as well as my actions towards myself and others off the mat.  

The more meditative aspects of the yoga practice, the 
ability to be aware of my thoughts, feelings, and emotions, has helped me tremendously in learning to acknowledge these as products of mind and not get too carried away with them.  Yoga has given me a firm sense of grounding in all parts of my life throughout the years.

Over my yoga life, I've practiced various styles including Ashtanga, vinyasa, Anusara, and Iyengar yoga.  I have learned about the foundations of yoga from each, and my practice has changed and grown on an intrinsic level. More importantly than deepening my strength and flexibility, practicing yoga has helped me develop a certain mindfulness and ability to pay attention to my body and respect its limits. Lately, I am trying to allow my body to “move itself,” rather than moving my body.

I first tried hot yoga in 2011.  Although I had known about hot yoga for several years before actually taking a class, I had been reluctant to try it. When I finally did, I found the heat particularly cleansing and invigorating and the practice exhilarating.
Practicing yoga in the heat certainly allows the muscles to warm up more quickly, and I believe can help reduce risk of injury, as long as mindful awareness is always present. 

Since practicing hot yoga, I have also noticed that my skin and hair are healthier because they are more nourished and moisturized. Hot yoga has also helped me develop an awareness of what type of nutrition my body needs and improved my digestion.

I became involved with RHY when Rebecca (Jordan) was teaching classes at her house last year. Rebecca and Jane (Lauer) offer a wealth of knowledge and insight in their teaching and are also wonderful friends.  So practicing with them has been an honor for me. 

Although I enjoyed practicing Bikram yoga, I was excited about the opportunity to divert from doing exactly the same series during each class and re-incorporate elements of vinyasa into my practice. The RHY community offers so much support, creativity, and love, that there was no question in my mind that I wanted to be a part of it.



This is Emily Rex's yoga story.

Go to RHY website

















No comments:

Post a Comment