Friday, January 17, 2014

Glowing From The Inside Out

My first exposure to yoga was at my college gym.   I wasn't quite sure what yoga was all about, but decided to add it to my fitness routine because I'm not naturally flexible.  Although I started with power yoga, which was fun, I branched out to explore other classes at different studios.  

When I discovered hot yoga in 2008, I knew I'd found the right fit for me.  Hot yoga quiets my mind, helps me focus on my body and breath, and allows me to release tension after a long day.  I love the way the heat relaxes and elongates my muscles so they don't feel scrunched up and tight.

After walking out of that first hot yoga class, I sat in my car and felt the most alive and awake in my body that I'd ever felt.  I felt like I'd just had a full body massage, but even better!  I was glowing from the inside out - and when I teach, I want my students to leave with that feeling.   

I've always been a driven, type-A personality.  Hot yoga helps me find stillness, calm, and peace.  Instead of taking medication for anxiety, I find relief in yoga.  It works better for me. With yoga, I've noticed that I'm not sick as often and my digestion is more regular.  Because I'm taking care of myself, I'm better able to take care of those around me. 

I knew that I wanted to teach yoga almost from the beginning.  Just a little over a year after I started practicing, I took a sabbatical from my day job to attend teacher training in summer 2009.  My certification is in Bija Hot Yoga based on the Ghosh 84 posture series.  Much of the training still sticks with me today as it focused on anatomy and the physical side of yoga asanas.  I particularly enjoy the way my body moves from posture to posture with the flow of the breath.  

I continue to grow my teaching skills in vinyasa yoga and anticipate building education and experience in this area. I'm constantly learning new things about yoga, whether it's from reading something or talking with other yoga teachers and practitioners.  I know I'll never stop learning with yoga (and not just the postures or asanas).  With yoga, I always have a lot to look forward to.  

Yoga is an integral part of the fabric of my life.  If I'm not on the mat, I'm often thinking about yoga or encouraging others to try it.  I frequently use breathing and movement techniques with my clients in my job as a counselor because they can be powerful tools to gain a sense of mastery and control when the world feels like it's out of hand.  

I respect the community at RHY and think the studio has something special to offer. Being a teacher at RHY gives me a chance to take part in that.   





This is our glowing Kate Sutton's yoga story.




Go to Revolution Hot Yoga website




No comments:

Post a Comment