Friday, April 25, 2014

Show Up In Your Yoga And It Will Show Up In You

I found yoga about four years ago. Some of my friends had been practicing for over 20 years and trying to enlist me, but I just never thought yoga was for me. Citing a lack of both time and patience, I put off exploring yoga for many years. "When I have the time,” I would always tell them. 

As life so often has a way of doing with its ironic sense of humor, the time was delivered. I found myself with a strong need and burning desire to find a sense of peace, concentration, and union of mind and body in my life.  Life happens! We pick it up and carry on. In many of the conversations I'd had with my yogi friends, they promised "You'll find inner peace, focus, confidence.  Yoga will make you a stronger person, both mentally and physically."  Well, I was ready to see for myself.

With time now on my side, I sought out the closest yoga studio I could find because I'd have to walk. My first class was at a yoga & massage studio exactly 107 steps from where I was living. "Perfect!" I thought. "Here goes!"

The class was supposed to be a coed class, however, I was disappointed to find that I was the only male there. Despite it being my first time in a yoga class and being surrounded by 20 women, I told myself , "OK, You can do this."  After a couple of breathing exercises and a few asanas and savasanas, the instructor puts us on our backs, heels to buttocks, knees in the air, and legs spread.  “Ok, this is where we are,” she says. “If you don't feel comfortable exposing your special place, you can use the blanket on the floor next to you to cover it up and find your comfort.”   On the way out, I did confirm with the instructor that this was a typical coed class.  Well needless to say, I didn't find my comfort or yoga home.

Although I realized I wouldn't find another yoga studio within walking distance, I continued my search . A few days later when out with a friend, we happened by the local Bikram Hot Yoga Studio. I was intrigued. In all my conversations with yogi friends, I didn't ever remember anyone mentioning hot yoga.  I had to try it. 

In my first class, I thought I would die and had a hard time believing that doing yoga in this crazy hot room was actually going to do anything good for me. However, I still tried everything the instructor asked of me. By the end of that first class, I was hooked and went on to practice every day of the week. I couldn't get enough. Some days I even went twice.  As promised, I began to enjoy many of the benefits of hot yoga. 

Eighteen months into my practice, I suffered a severe herniated L 4-5 disc injury on a project job site. The surgeons ordered bed rest, morphine for the extreme pain, and time to allow the swelling to shrink. The injury took me down completely , and I was on my back in a morphine coma for 4 weeks.  I really thought the morphine was going to kill me. At the scheduled pre-surgery visit with the surgeon, he was amazed that I'd walked into his office without a wheelchair or the aid of any support and asked about my pre-accident work-out routine.  Upon looking at the severity of the injury on the x-ray  prior to seeing me that day, he was ready to perform emergency surgery right then! After a short discussion about hot yoga and a nerve reflex test, he sent me home to recover and keep doing yoga. Yoga works! Show up in your yoga, it will show up in you.

By the time I was entering the second year of my practice, my injury was under control.  I was experiencing little to no pain and only on rare occasions, did I feel discomfort as a result of the injury. Staying strong and true to yoga, I grew my practice while exposure to many different teachers helped strengthen it. On a weekend trip to see friends,  I did a hot yoga class, but not Bikram, and discovered the catalyst to expand and broaden my yoga perspective.  The studio offered a hot vinyasa flow style of yoga in combination with the classic 26 postures of the Bikram practice. Wow!  Again, I was hooked.  I'd found something new, something more, something to further my yoga practice. Upon returning home, I shared my experience with fellow yogis and got back into my Bikram practice, but knew I wanted more.

Rebecca (Jordan-Turner) provided the “more.” She was offering hot yoga in a home studio that led to Revolution Hot Yoga (RHY).   Her small studio became my new yoga home, a place where I could build on my Bikram foundation and begin to explore the vast world of yoga postures outside the classic 26. In each practice, I found that my awareness, focus, and balance was becoming so much more present. 

As RHY began to take shape, I became aware of Jimmy Barkan's yoga and another journey began. Jimmy, another yogi starting with Bikram, took his own journey outside the classic 26 and developed his own style of yoga.  Jimmy’s teacher training was calling to me, and I completed the Level I teaching certification training in September of 2013 which took my yoga practice to whole different level. The teacher training was the most difficult task of my life, but also the most rewarding. 

I have found my yoga home and yoga family at RHY.  Namaste!



This is Kevin Scott's yoga story.


Go to RHY website

No comments:

Post a Comment