Friday, April 4, 2014

Yoga Is About More Than Touching Your Toes


My daughter, Tamaryn Kelley (Who just recently became a certified hot yoga instructor!), took me to my first Bikram Hot Yoga class. Having been introduced to hot yoga earlier that year, she loved it. She encouraged me to go with her after hearing me complain about how unfit I had become. At the time, I wasn't really interested in yoga and thought it would be boring. I liked a challenge and to sweat when I worked out.

Growing up in Cape Town, South Africa, I was always healthy and active. Swimming, surfing, long walks up the mountain, on the beach, or anywhere else I needed to go were daily activities. When my father turned 50, he began running, and I decided to be his running buddy. Because I had never run before, I started out alternating walking and running to the next lamp post. Before long, I ran my first 5K, 10K, half marathon, and became an ultra marathoner. I thrived on the challenge and sweat.

After moving to NC in 1995, my focus turned from running to working out in a gym where the step-and-weights class became my favorite. Always liking to push myself, I worked up to three steps holding ten pound weights. See why I thought yoga would be boring?

About six years ago, in one of those classes, my hip and lower back were injured, and I couldn’t take my classes anymore. Within the next year, the physical challenges of my work also began to take a toll on my body. As a Surgical Technologist at the time, I found myself in what I called “contortionist positions” for many hours of the day while assisting in surgery. The associated environmental factors also adversely affected me, and I was diagnosed with asthma and needed an inhaler. I couldn't even take a brisk walk without gasping for air much less dance for hours like I used to. To add insult to injury, I hurt my weakened back while doing heavy lifting at work and found myself laid up flat on my back for three days. My inability to be physically active led to depression and a panic attack. I even took pills to help me sleep.

Tamaryn kept suggesting hot yoga. Thanks to her persistence, in June of 2011, I went with her to a class. To my surprise, I loved it. After that first class with John Mabry, I was hooked. The yoga was harder than I expected, and I sweated! Totally in awe of those who were able to do camel and fixed firm pose, I thought, “I’ll never be able to do that stuff.” Although pale and nauseous, I caught my breath, tried to cool down and couldn’t wait to get back in the hot room. I drove home from that first class feeling amazingly peaceful, proud, challenged, and wet. Hot yoga was a workout I could do without getting injured. I knew that it was going to be my next generation of physical activity.

I practiced at Bikram regularly for over a year and began to wonder how to expand my practice. Then Rebecca (Jordan-Turner) began teaching and made reference to small corrections that made big differences in my postures. With her guidance, I was amazed at how I was able to grow my practice.

In September 2012, a large person fell down next to me (not at yoga), landed on my leg, and tore the MCL in my knee. No surgery was required, but I did have to do six weeks of physical therapy and was advised to stay away from yoga for two months. Despite this advice, I returned to yoga after only four weeks wearing a knee brace. I found myself becoming depressed again from my immobility and knew that I needed to get back in the studio even if just to lie there and meditate.

Rebecca guided me into modified poses (I didn’t even know poses could be modified.) and showed me how to practice with my body as it was. Checking the schedule, I made sure to attend her classes which I found so inspirational. Her individual attention played a big role in my physical and emotional healing. Bringing a sense of serenity and wisdom to the room, it was obvious to me that she cared about all of her students in the same way.

And then she just disappeared! Tamaryn and I were devastated but continued to practice. When I found out that Rebecca had a home studio, I was ecstatic and took a spot in class every chance I could. While there, I learned that there was more to hot yoga than just the 26 postures we did in the Bikram series requiring me to use my body and brain in new ways. Learning about vinyasa sequences, up and down dogs, warriors, chatarungas, I grew my practice even more! And then best of all, I learned about plans for Revolution Hot Yoga (RHY).

What I love about RHY is that it's truly a yoga family with no judgment, only support and encouragement. The instructors are passionate and focused on their students,each bringing their own wisdom, guidance, motivation, and experiences to the class. I no longer look at the schedule to see if Rebecca is teaching because each instructor is awesome with an awareness of the mood in the room, the challenges, and comfort of the students. Every teacher impacts my practice in positive ways.

At each practice, I learn something new or am made aware of some way that I can adjust or improve a posture. During class, I enjoy the dialogue and interaction that takes place, the soft music playing, and the laughs which make for a bit of fun. I love that I am doing something so crazy and challenging requiring such determination and focus. Sometimes, I feel like I am dancing a graceful dance with myself, and at other times, I feel like a strong warrior. When I need to sit down, I feel empowered by the way I am able to control myself with my breath. At the end of class, the cool lavender towels are such a treat, and I appreciate the opportunity to stay in the hot room and play or practice a little longer if I feel it’s needed.

In my work with tissue donation as Placenta Donation Coordinator, I need to be super sharp and detail oriented. Hot yoga helps me declutter my mind and stay focused and balanced. I am constantly amazed at the new found strength and flexibility of my 57 year old body. With yoga, I sleep well, no meds required, and asthma is a thing of the past.

At RHY, every practice is a different challenge, and you’ll never hear me complain about wanting to sweat more! I aspire to some day be like the 90 year-old who goes for her annual physical, and when the doctor asks if she can touch her toes, she replies, “With what?”



This is Avra Shorkend's yoga story. That's Avra with Tamaryn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment