Friday, May 30, 2014

Hot Yoga Has Become A Way Of Life

My love for hot yoga began a few years ago even though I had tried a class once before.  The earlier time, I didn't feel the connection with it that I do now.  Actually, I thought that whole thing was a bit strange. Little did I know that later, hot yoga would become a life changer for me. 

After a couple of years of trying several different forms of exercise and not really loving or committing to any of them, I began running. Having never been a runner, the sport was completely new to me, and I loved it.  I also enjoyed the benefits I got from running both mentally and physically. 

Then after experiencing a devastating death in our family, I didn't have the energy or drive to even consider running. Knowing that I needed something to help with stress relief, physical exercise, and quieting of my mind, I went back to Bikram yoga with a friend. Although I don't remember much about that class,  I remember that I loved it.  

I liked that for 90 minutes I didn't have to think. My brain turned off, and all I could do was focus on myself and the postures. I found the practice to be very meditative which was something I really needed. After that class, I was hooked! Everywhere I went, I told people about hot yoga and encouraged them try it.

Fast forward about a year. Thankfully, I met Rebecca Jordan-Turner and Jane Cable who I found to be special yoga teachers, unlike anyone else I'd encountered. When teaching, they cared about each person in the room and could monitor the whole room while still paying attention to an individual's needs. Both are tough yoga teachers, yet loving and encouraging. Taking their classes was and still is so inspiring to me! Of course, there was no question in my mind that I would be following Rebecca to her home studio and then to Revolution Hot Yoga (RHY).

I am so grateful to all of the teachers at RHY. It's a very special place, and I consider it my yoga home. Whenever I go out of town, I'll practice at the local hot yoga studio. Although each has it's own unique great things, there is still nowhere like RHY. 

RHY teaches the form and alignment that many studios tend to skip or do not spend enough time on. Also, I find the classes at RHY so helpful in learning to step away from my ego and just to accept myself where I am as I am. 

Yoga has given me SO many wonderful gifts, but I really believe that having strong teachers is key to this and am thankful for each teacher at RHY. Also, I am appreciative to the other yogis for creating such a loving and encouraging atmosphere.

Hot Yoga has become such a huge part of who I am and my lifestyle. It teaches me patience, acceptance, and being present.  Hot yoga gives me confidence, reminds me to breathe, and helps keep me humble.

I look forward to this life long yoga journey! Thank you RHY!



This is Rachel Benson's yoga story.  That's Rachel and her yoga assistant, Kylie.


Go to RHY website

2 comments:

  1. I remember how you laughed at the breathing during that first yoga class. You've come along way Rachel Sunshine!

    ReplyDelete