Friday, May 16, 2014

I Found Happiness In Yoga

When I was in high school, my mother gave me a yoga mat and a yoga/pilates tape for Christmas.  Initially, I would break it out occasionally but started practicing yoga with the tape regularly during my freshman year of college.  Never having been great at running, I had struggled to find a workout that suited me after leaving sports behind in high school. 

I found yoga to be very refreshing, and after doing the tape for a while, I started to see a nice tone and definition to my body. After a yoga session, I felt longer and leaner and really liked the low impact of a yoga workout compared to running or weight lifting.  Years later, I first sought out hot yoga after watching a television interview with a famous model who, when asked how she stayed in such great shape, replied, "Lots of hot yoga!".  After seeing that,I knew that I had to try it. 

The first time I went to a hot yoga class, I was overwhelmed.  Not knowing what to expect, I found it to be much hotter than I'd anticipated and thought it strange that you weren't supposed to talk.  During that first class, I became woozy, had to sit down a few times, and was embarrassed when called out for grabbing my water bottle before "party time."  However when I got home and peeled off my soaking wet clothes, I could already see an immediate change in my body.  My skin was brighter and tighter, and I slept great that night.  I knew that I had to keep going.

Although I've always maintained a healthy and active lifestyle exploring all different types of exercise, I struggled with body image in the past, but have finally come to a place where I feel good about myself as long as I know that I'm taking care of my body and mind.  I'd often became discouraged with other fitness regimes if I didn't like the way I felt during the workout or if I didn't feel like I was very good at it.  

When I tried to improve my running, I'd get disappointed when I'd shoot for six miles and only made four.  When I tried weight lifting at the encouragement of a family member, I wasn't thrilled with the resulting bulkiness or being sore for days after a session.  My jeans actually got tighter!.  What I love about yoga is that I'm building strength with my own body.  

For years before practicing hot yoga, I experienced a high amount of anxiety.  I'd become very anxious at work or with the details of everyday life and had related back pain and stomach issues. I'd tried medication but wasn't completely sold on the idea of taking a pill everyday as a solution.  Hot yoga has helped me tremendously to still my mind, cease the negative thoughts, and ease anxiety.  My back and stomach pain are almost non existent when I practice consistently. 

My yoga practice, which initially began as a great work out for physical benefits, has given me so much more than that.  It's become spiritual workout, like a therapy session.  In almost every class, I learn new things about myself and pick up quotes from the instructors that give me a whole new outlook on life.  I find it ironic that vanity brought me to hot yoga, but I can honestly say I have found true happiness in yoga. 

When I started hot yoga, I wasn't the happiest person.  I'd broken up with a long term boyfriend, wasn't crazy about my job, and was in a totally different place than I thought I would be in life, both professionally and personally.  Therefore at first even though I knew it was doing me good, I was slightly annoyed with the whole experience of hot yoga, mainly because I wasn't happy with myself.  It bugged me that you weren't supposed to talk during class or leave the hot room. I'd get aggravated with myself when I couldn't fully do all of the poses and would have to sit down when I became overheated.   I even got annoyed at other people breathing loudly around me. 

But after going for a while and loving the physical benefits, some of the spiritual aspects started to click with me.  I realized that you don't talk to allow you to focus on your inner self and thoughts. The most challenging and most beneficial part for me is quieting my mind and thoughts in class.  I can really sabotage my practice sometimes when I can't still my mind.  Yoga is equally demanding physically and mentally, and unless you can conquer the mental part, the heat and physicality of hot yoga can really take you down.  As soon as I am able to let go and focus, the postures come with ease. 

I've also learned the process of deep breathing in yoga and how necessary it is for relaxing and replenishing my body. Gradually, I learned that yoga isn't about perfecting all of the poses. It's about the journey to get to that point, which may or may not happen for years.  I never leave a hot yoga class feeling unfulfilled.  Every time I walk out I know that I've just done something good for my mind and have worked my ass off for 90 minutes.  That feels incredible - maybe even euphoric

I have been able to take all of the wonderful lessons I've realized in yoga and apply them to my life.  I've tried to stop comparing myself to others, have been able to leave a situation that wasn't positive for me, and have taken control of my life and happiness through setting new goals and seeing life as a journey.  Yoga truly has given me peace and happiness. 



This is Lindsey Staley's yoga story.


Go to RHY website



No comments:

Post a Comment