Friday, November 28, 2014

Getting Stronger With Yoga

My first introduction to yoga was in 1998 at a small studio in Greensboro. I'm not sure what kind of yoga it was, but we did lots of boat poses and other core strengthening postures. The classes were 75 minutes long with 15 minutes of guided meditation at end of every class. The practice focused on integrating the body and mind. The teacher was also a Reiki master and did my attunements for learning Reiki.

I found yoga relaxing, and liked how it helped me calm my mind and focus on my body.  I've visited many studios since and have discovered a common theme among yoga teachers: they're all very knowledgeable, caring people. I believe some of the best people in the world teach yoga!

My first teacher was very meditative and taught me the benefits of practicing meditation. My subsequent teacher was very detail oriented and would give us pictures of the poses listing the benefits of each one. Under her guidance, I did some of my most difficult postures in that class, like crow, side crow and hand and head stands. And as an extra treat, we always had tea after our practice. As teachers moved on and studios closed or changed hands, I attended various studios and determined that I prefer a smaller, more intimate yoga setting.

Before coming to Revolution Hot Yoga in September of this year, I had been out of yoga for about three years because of a shoulder injury, a tear in my cartilage, that took two years to heal. I'd injured my shoulder practicing yoga; so I made sure it was healed completely before resuming.

I wanted to try hot yoga because I thought that it would suit my body needs and that practicing in the warmth would prevent me from injuring my shoulder again. I like the heat and enjoy that added dimension to yoga. However, I do find it challenging, but not because its hot. It's challenging because I'm so wet from sweating that I find it difficult to get a firm grip!

Hot yoga feels good and re-energizes me. Because I go to yoga after work, it's my wind down time prior to going home. I also think it's good to sweat out the toxins in your body.

After my first hot yoga class I got in my car and noticed that all of the windows were fogged. I was sitting there trying to figure out why all of a sudden my car windows were fogged up, when I realized it was because of all the heat radiating from my body. :)

When I first began my hot yoga practice, I had quite a bit of tightness in my back. For that reason, I took the restorative classes for a few weeks before resuming the other. I think many people have similar reactions in their bodies when trying something new and abandon the activity, but it's important for people to get to know their bodies and its areas of weakness. For me, it's my lower back, and I'm aware that it might feel worse before it feels better.

In resuming my yoga practice, my main body goal was building strength in my core. I can already feel and see the difference. I feel stronger and have a better sense of balance in my body and brain.

This is Kathy Kueider's yoga story.
Go to  RHY website


No comments:

Post a Comment