Friday, December 5, 2014

A Hallelujah For Hot Yoga!

I started doing Hatha and then Ashtanga yoga at least 20 years ago. (OMG, am I really that old?!) Through the practice of yoga, I've always found peace, as well as physical fitness.

In 1996, I had a mountain biking accident that left my T12 vertebra fractured and two of my lumbar discs bulging. The excruciating lower back pain I experienced after affected all of my daily activities and yoga. However by taking large amounts of ibuprofen for years, I managed to continue with life, yoga, and martial arts as normal. Eventually chiropractic care eased the pain somewhat for which I was very grateful. But I discovered that if I didn't get frequent enough adjustments, the pain was still omnipresent in my life.

Five years ago, I found hot yoga. AND WOW! With a regular hot yoga practice, my back pain completely resolved.  I haven't been to the chiropractor for 3 years since beginning hot yoga. 

Now folks, I’m known for my honesty and, shall I say, my bluntness. I came pretty close to detesting how hot...and gross...and suffocated I felt during the hot yoga classes at one studio where I had the fortune to meet Rebecca (Jordan-Turner).  However,  I continued to practice regularly because the relief from the back pain I got was worth 90 minutes of suffering in the heat.

It was a happy day for me when Rebecca left that studio and started teaching her own school of yoga, first at home then at Revolution Hot Yoga (RHY). I eagerly followed her and LOVE the classes at RHY. I enjoy the people, the variety of classes offered with their different sequences, and especially the adjustable heaters. 

Hallelujah! 

I take the regular hot yoga classes often to challenge myself, but the restorative classes are a little slice of heaven for me. I can destress and keep my back in good working order in the same restorative class. Win-Win! :)

I'm a true believer; I drank the Kool-Aid (a reference for those of you past the age of 40); and I'm here to testify. 

Can I get an “Amen”!

Rebecca and all the teachers at RHY have my thanks. 

Choir:  Can I get another “Amen”?!

This is Dr. Myra Dove's yoga story.

Go To RHY website.


No comments:

Post a Comment