Friday, January 16, 2015

Just Breathe Into It

This month marks one year since I began my hot yoga journey. Even though I'd taken a basic yoga class for a couple of months, I still considered myself pretty much starting from scratch. Two of my friends had been singing the praises of hot yoga for a couple of years, but I was very resistant. I was nervous about the heat and tended to avoid class settings because I'm too self-conscious about looking silly or being horrible at something. Honestly, my vanity was a big obstacle! 

However, I finally gave in and decided to try a restorative class at Revolution Hot Yoga (RHY). It was the perfect introduction because I found it easy to follow and not nearly as intimidating as I thought it would be. For the first six weeks, I stuck with the restorative class and found Rebecca (Jordan-Turner) and Jane (Cable) to be very welcoming and encouraging. Finally, I took the plunge and did what I called my first “big girl" 75 minute hot yoga class which was challenging and a bit foreign, but incredibly exhilarating also. After it was over, I told my friend that I wished I could do that every day! Before long, I felt comfortable with the postures and began to feel like I was a part of the RHY community.

In the year since starting hot yoga, I've been happy and surprised by the benefits the practice has brought me. While I've never been very flexible, I can see marked improvement in my flexibility, and I know I'm stronger and think I look stronger. I also have had some nagging issues with my lower back but on a day-to-day basis, the discomfort has greatly diminished since practicing hot yoga regularly.

Balance is an important factor as we get older, and I find the balance sequence very challenging. Most days, I see a big difference from where I started. Some days I have what seems like a magic balance sequence that leaves me invigorated and ready to conquer anything! I find my yoga practice to be challenging in a different way every single class, which is great because I never get bored.

For me, one of the nicest benefits from my yoga practice has been that I'm not as concerned about how well I do something or how I look doing it. While I still strive to improve, I'm getting better at leaving my ego at the door and accepting what my body, mind, and spirit give me that day. It’s not easy, but I'm working on it.

My favorite lesson that hot yoga has taught me is the benefit of slowing down, taking time to breath, and recognizing that it’s the little adjustments that we make, both on and off the mat, that can make the biggest difference. I love it during class when the teacher reminds me of a small tweak or I recognize it for myself and make that tiny shift to find that it changes everything. Learning this has helped me in my life to not get too overwhelmed by the big things, break them down, and make small adjustments toward the bigger goal. It's so much simpler to just breath into it like Rebecca says. :)

So, after all the resistance I put up at first, I think it's safe to say that I'm hooked on RHY. I’ve never been one of those people who loves to workout, and it usually doesn’t take much for me to come up with an excuse not to exercise. But since RHY has come into my life, I actually look forward to a class, and I really don’t want an excuse not to go!

Rebecca and Jane are both incredible teachers and Carmen (Cavanagh) and Tina (Romenelli) have been wonderful additions. Each teacher brings their own twist and sparkle to their classes which makes for the perfect variety.

My only regret with hot yoga is that I didn’t get there sooner. The warm room at RHY has become one of my favorite places to be.
This is Ellen Goldenberg's yoga story.

Go to RHY website

No comments:

Post a Comment