Friday, January 9, 2015

From Beast Mode To Peace Mode

About a year ago. I tried traditional yoga twice for the first time ever seeking to enhance my flexibility and supplement my weight training and other exercise. On both occasions, I didn't know what I was doing or even what a Down Dog was and the classes were large without individual instruction. At the time, I had an incredible Chiropractor who was working with me on several injuries, and my body didn't react well to yoga.  He politely suggested that I may want to try alternative fitness options.  

However, my brother is a personal fitness trainer and very persuasive, and he thought hot yoga would be great for me because I would sweat and jump start weight loss. I was able to put him off for a couple of months before relenting and coming to Revolution Hot Yoga (RHY) with him one Sunday afternoon. I honestly came to class just to spend time with my brother and had  no intention of coming back. The class was actually led by two new instructors with Rebecca (Jordan-Turner) overseeing them. From the beginning, Rebecca and Carmen (Cavanagh) took an amazing amount of time to work with me and make sure I didn’t injure myself. After that class, I was hooked, and I try to come every Sunday and more if my schedule allows.

My family health history is riddled with heart disease and diabetes. I was on that path, extremely obese, and didn't watch what I ate even though I work with major sporting events in Greensboro. (Has everyone bought their Figure Skating tickets yet?)  I didn't look the part for the industry and was actually told that I didn't get a prominent job because of my appearance. 

One day two years ago when looking at a picture of myself, something just clicked, and I realized that I had to make changes in my lifestyle and diet. Because it was the easiest thing for me to do, I began swimming two miles a day. As the weight began to drop off, I added running on the treadmill and riding the stationary bike. I joined the the Clubs of Greensboro and started participating in their group training program. 

As I saw positive changes, I became more motivated but sustained a shoulder tear that slowed me down. With an aggressive physical therapy program and now hot yoga, the shoulder issue is a lot better. I sometimes train twice a day probably 5 days a week, and hot yoga has became my Sunday exercise. I find that a hot yoga class allows me to relax before starting a new work week and improves my sleep on Sunday nights. I haven’t really lost any weight since coming to RHY, but with a couple of weddings, Thanksgiving, and Christmas, I feel good that I've not gained weight. 

At yoga, I like that I have the opportunity to focus, sweat, and push my body to the limits. At the gym, I used to tell my trainer I was gonna be in "beast mode," but at RHY, there is no beast mode as a class challenges me, but also brings out the calm and best in me. I attribute that to the staff as much as the yoga itself.  Rebecca and Carmen have helped to make something unfamiliar something that I truly enjoy. 


There is no competition in yoga but the competitive side of me is always there. In class one day, I remember saying to myself, "Yes! I can do something that he can't.'  But I don't really think that's competitiveness as much as just me being happy and proud to see progress in my practice. 

I’m proud of my accomplishments in my yoga practice. Rebecca and the staff are incredible to work with and the facility is immaculate. Hot yoga has been an awesome experience for me. I would encourage everyone to try Revolution Hot Yoga at least once. You'll be back.



This is Demp Bradford's yoga story.

Go to RHY website

No comments:

Post a Comment