Friday, March 20, 2015

At Revolution Hot Yoga, It's About The Yoga

I took my first yoga class in my 20's at a gym.and attended on and off for a over a year until I stopped going to the gym altogether. After my oldest son was born, I took a "Mommy and Me" yoga class which I really enjoyed, but when he started crawling, I had to stop. 

Then three years ago after my third child, I tried hot yoga for the first time. Even before taking my first class.I purchased a 10 class pass because I wanted to commit enough so that it would be hard to back out of after just one class.  

At first, the classes were tough, and I wasn't very good, but I stuck with it for about a year. Eventually, the time commitment for a 90 minute class became too much, and I looked into a new yoga studio, Revolution Hot Yoga (RHY), that was closer to my home. When I saw the schedule, I got excited because the 60, 75, and 90 minute class options were exactly what I needed and I welcomed  the opportunity to practice under Rebecca (Jordan-Turner) again..Although I have started and stopped several times over my yoga life, I enjoy yoga and feel like I'm at a point in my life and at a studio where I'll be able to continue my practice regularly.

With three kids, my biggest challenge is finding time in my life to be consistent with my yoga practice. I started the year with the goal of getting to yoga twice a week, but I usually make it to one evening flow class weekly. Even with that, I've seen noticeable improvements in my well being. 

The skills I develop in my yoga practice carry over into many aspects of my life. I have more energy and eat healthier. I use my breath to help me focus and calm myself. Heart disease runs in my family and is something I've always been concerned about. Recently, I had my cholesterol tested, and my HDL, good cholesterol, is at a a level that is a negative risk factor for heart disease. At RHY, I feel that I'm part of a community that motivates me to make healthy choices. 

Currently, I'm participating in the green smoothie challenge and have to admit that I was a little apprehensive about it at first.  But with some encouragement and shared knowledge, I gave it a try. I'm happy to report that to my surprise, I really like it, and will continue after the challenge is over.

What I love most about hot yoga is that when I walk into the studio, I leave all my thoughts at the door and focus on the present. For me, that makes it better than any other workout I've ever done. That was as true for my first class as it is for the last class I took. 

When I first started practicing hot yoga, I had to focus with 100% concentration and a class was all about survival. In the Bikram classes, I found comfort in each class being the same routine because, to be honest, it was how I knew how far along in the class I was. I felt relief with each pose and success upon getting through the 90 minutes. 

When I started at RHY, I instantly loved the flow of the classes and the fact that no two classes are the same which forces me to stay in the moment instead of focusing on what's coming next. It wasn't about just getting through the class anymore. At Bikram, I enjoyed the challenge. At RHY, I enjoy the yoga. The instructors and members at RHY create an environment in which I feel comfortable and at ease. The only pressure I feel is that which I put on myself to do my best. 

Because my sons are getting older, I'm starting to find some balance in my life and am able to make time for my family, volunteer at my children's different schools and church, and only starting some hobbies, quilting and photography, but also improving my health through yoga.


This is Christin Morasco's yoga story.


Go to RHY website

No comments:

Post a Comment