Thursday, March 13, 2014

Love At First Sweat



For years, I had a casual relationship with yoga, attending classes randomly here and there.  In those early classes, I remember feeling lost with the fancy Sanskrit words and fast flowing sequences, but I still found them interesting and beneficial.  After class, I would get what I called a "yoga hangover" in which my tender shoulders and sore hamstrings would make themselves known while performing every day tasks.

In August of 2010 during a particularly difficult time in my life,  I decided that I needed to get to a yoga class ASAP.  Although I lived in New York City at the time, I was visiting Greensboro and searched online for available classes that day in the area.  I knew I needed a challenging experience so that ruled out all the gentle, restorative, level one classes.  Bikram Hot Yoga popped up and the next class was in two hours.

I had heard of Bikram and knew it was hot yoga, but that was all I knew.  Barb Libby taught the class that day, and I felt like every word she spoke was just for me.  I haven't seen her since that day, but I would like to have the chance to thank her for being part of what turned out to be a life changing event for me.

It was love at first sweat.  I was hooked after my first class.  In those early days, I practiced a lot.  I felt like I was on a vision quest.  I tried to convert everyone in my life to become a hot yogi.  I went back to New York and practiced hot yoga as much as I could.  Hot yoga quickly became part of my identity and an essential part of my life.  No matter where I went, I found a studio and practiced.

About the time I moved back to Greensboro, Rebecca (Jordan-Turner) started teaching at a studio where I was practicing. While her words and dialogue guided my yoga practice, she became my friend and mentor.  I knew that I would practice wherever she went; I knew that I would teach this yoga one day; and I knew that I wanted that journey to happen under her guidance and expertise.

I've seen this yoga change lives.  It changed mine.  People want to know the secret as to why this former angry punk kid now has buoyancy, centeredness, and calm.  It's no secret.  It's the yoga.  And I'm not shy about telling people either.  I want to bring this yoga to others because everyone deserves to feel this good.

My wonderful teachers at Yoga To The People in New York City, where I trained, follow the mantra below.  I thought I would share it with you.

There will be no correct clothes
There will be no proper payment
There will be no right answers
No glorified teachers
No ego no script no pedestals
No you're not good enough or rich enough
This yoga is for everyone
This sweating and breathing and becoming
This knowing glowing feeling
Is for the big small weak and strong
Able and crazy
Brothers sisters grandmothers
The mighty and the meek
Bones that creek
Those who seek
This power is for everyone
Yoga to the people
All bodies rise

This is Kate Burnet's Yoga story.
Kate is RHY's newest teacher.


Go to RHY Website




1 comment:

  1. Dynamite - love the mantra. Congrats to you, Kate, And to RHY!

    ReplyDelete