Thursday, March 20, 2014

The Best Medicine

Being first introduced to yoga in 2011, I have a fairly short yoga life compared to some yogis in the studio. Unlike many others, hot yoga is the only type of yoga I've ever experienced.  I don’t know what it feels like to practice yoga without sweat dripping down my face and into my eyes. I imagine that normal yoga would be a bore!

Since that very first class, I have been addicted to hot yoga and can tell a tremendous difference when I don't practice for a period of time. Upon beginning yoga, my main goal was to just make it through a whole class without sitting down.  Now, I'm making the effort to go deeper into the postures.


My first yoga class was the most physically challenging thing I'd ever experienced in my life.  I think I sat down for half of the class and found my mobility limited. After leaving, I noticed that my skin felt so clean, and I slept like a baby that night. As I continued practicing, I began to see more positive physical changes in my body. 

Since an early age, I've had weight issues and chronic lower back problems.  Before yoga, running and playing tennis were my primary forms of exercise, but didn't help me maintain a healthy weight. Since starting yoga, I've lost around 40 pounds and have been able to keep it off. I've also not been back to the chiropractor since shortly after.  

Beyond the physical benefits, yoga has helped me maintain a balance in my mental health by alleviating anxiety. A regular yoga practice has guided me through difficult emotional challenges in the past years by keeping me centered and focused. Yoga is my physical and emotional medicine. 

In the year after starting yoga, my friends began asking me what I was doing to change my physical and mental state so much.  I gladly told them about hot yoga and encouraged them to come to a class with me.  Many were Muslim ladies, who for cultural and religious reasons were not able to attend a class in the presence of males. 

With Rebecca's (Jordan-Turner) help, we started a women’s only class that has been going since. I enjoy sharing my passion for yoga with these ladies and introducing them to an exercise that is not normally found in their home countries. Some of these same ladies have been coming back since 2012 and have gained many benefits from the practice. 

When Rebecca left my old studio, the women’s class was put on hold, and I gradually stopped practicing there as well.  I didn’t feel motivated and was getting bored doing the same series over and over again. When I heard about Revolution Hot Yoga (RHY), I was excited to get back into yoga and made it a top priority.  

I love how RHY caters to everyone’s needs. There are days when I want to slow down and check my technique, and others when I want to push myself by going to advanced classes which have taken my practice to a new level.  I now have muscles that I didn’t even know existed, and I am proud to show off my newly toned quads and biceps. Since practicing at RHY,  I've learned challenging postures that give me something to work towards. This year, I am focusing on learning the techniques and exciting new postures outside of the Bikram series such as dancing warrior, binds, and inversions (which I hope to be able to do soon!)  

Recently at RHY, I have also been learning how the postures create energy flow in our bodies.  I've noticed this especially in Camel pose, which I would say is my favorite posture because I can literally feel the movement of energy through my back, up my chest, opening my rib cage and heart.  It's just amazing how much energy one can receive from these postures. 

There are so many things that I love about hot yoga. Topping the list would simply be the sweat and the feeling that I'm getting a good workout. I always carry the thought in the back of my mind that, if I can make it through a hot yoga class, nothing else in my day can be more challenging! I also love the higher focus and energy I get after every class. 

I feel it is my duty to share the positive things in my life, and my dream is to bring this yoga to others. Because I'm known to be a world traveler, I would love to someday teach yoga in Latin America or the Middle East after acquiring certification. These regions aren't as familiar with yoga, and I want to spread what I've learned at RHY all over the world! 



This is Angie Kapely's yoga story.

Go to RHY website.

No comments:

Post a Comment