Monday, December 15, 2014

The Path Of Practice - Part 2

Emily Rex is one of the most prominent members of the Revolution Hot Yoga (RHY) community.  She is the manager of our Work-Study program, a teacher for us in the summer, and our most consistent and regular member of class.  On November 3, she attended her 300th class at RHY, completing 300 classes in just 393 days.  Additionally, November marked the 15th anniversary of her yoga practice.  To celebrate both of these achievements, and to share some of her insights and experience with the community, Rebecca and Emily sat down and shared some questions and answers.


Part 2 of 2

Rebecca:
Describe your process of practice.  Most students in class can't see how methodical and precise you are -- they just see an incredible range of motion or a full expression of a posture.  But the teachers observe your process and we've watched your practice grow and develop over the years.  What is your mental focus, discipline, concentration, and how does that manifest in the asanas?

Emily:
Yoga is a path, so the practice is always changing and present in different ways. The most important thoughts I keep in mind are to (1) connect with my body and allow it to guide my practice, (2) accept my practice as it is at any particular moment, and (3) to balance effort with ease.

Connecting to my body and using it as a guide or teacher removes external influences from the practice. In the studio, this includes looking at one’s physical presence in the mirror. I certainly recognize the benefits of having a mirror in the studio: for beginners, looking in a mirror can help one understand the basic alignment of a posture. But as a practice continues, using the mirror too much can risk developing a superficial practice, and can even breed a sort of narcissism. Bringing the focus inward instead allows me to use the sensations in my body as my teacher. And focusing on particular parts of the body teaches me different things. For example, focusing on the pelvic floor or the feet helps me feel grounded, while focusing on the spine brings awareness to my alignment. Regardless of where the focus is, turning it inward has allowed me to guide my own practice.

Accepting my practice as it is at any particular moment has contributed to the longevity of my practice. It takes away the need for pursuing or working toward a particular goal. Instead, accepting my practice each day challenges me to acknowledge any physical, mental, or spiritual issue, including a tight hamstring, boredom, tiredness, or emotional pain. Although it’s easier in theory than in actual practice, I try my best to be completely open to these experiences and try to be nice to them. A regular sitting meditation practice has also helped with this.

Finding the right balance of effort and ease is another tricky one. We live in a culture of striving, and this is very true when it comes to exercise. Because yoga is a wonderful source of physical well being, it’s natural to want to “achieve” a particular expression of a posture. The trouble is that this type of striving is that it encourages bad habits, such as comparing oneself to others and risking injury by pushing the body to places that it’s not ready to go. I’ve learned that practice requires a balance of what Buddhists call “wise effort” but at the same time allowing the body to ease into where it is ready to go. For me, this balance manifests itself in a persistent focus on alignment with a willingness to “ease up” if my body tells me to.


Rebecca:
How is your practice evolving -- from the beginning through now?  Do you have any goals or next targets?

Emily:

Yoga has become part of my spiritual path. Yoga has helped me learn patience, humility, generosity, and love. Even though it’s been 15 years since I first stood on a yoga mat, I enjoy being a student of yoga and still feel like a beginner at heart. For me it hasn’t been about achievements or goals, but the opportunity to connect with my body, be present, and try to spread loving kindness through practice along the way.


Emily Rex in action.

Go to RHY website


No comments:

Post a Comment